The Achieve Foundation promotes access to experience-based STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, the Arts and Math) education for all students at all grade levels – including maker spaces, robotics, computer programming, CAD design, technology, bioinformatics and more. STEAM education combines art and creativity with new technology in all subject areas.
Join us for a fun day that will include:
- take-home maker kits to be picked up at various SOMa locations (including A Paper Hat, the Maplewood Memorial Libraries, Finlay + Gage, Oh! Canary, Sadie’s, Kitchen ala Mode, and more)
- outdoor STEM demonstrations (socially-distanced on Ritzer field)
- Geo-Cache Adventure. Get to know MapSO in a whole new way with this easy and fun scavenger hunt. Start at the Baird and follow a QR code at each location that will lead to the next adventure, a total of 15 locations. All you will need is a mobile phone with a map app, a QR code scanner and internet connection. The adventure takes about 1 hour & 15 minutes if you are walking. Get started here,
- online coding fun with CodeJoy. Register for Robot Aerobics today and you’ll receive a link Friday 4/23 to join the class. Space is limited so sign up now for the 10AM class here or for the 3PM class here.
Can’t get enough? Check out these OYO (on your own) hands-on activities and experiments to try at home!
And here are a few more old favorites from 2020:
- Create a LEGO Summer Scene with Achieve trustee Brad Schenker
- Try a mind-boggling experiment poking pencils through a water-filled ziploc bag. Why doesn’t it leak?
- Make a no-sew face mask courtesy of our friends at the Maplewood Memorial Library’s Create Space
- Get detailed instructions to make an icosahedron with Achieve trustee Larry Boyer
- Recycle used crayons and creating artwork
- Build a geodesic dome out of cardboard with our friends from Maplewoodshop.
- Play Mind Games on Kahoot! with Eyal Ben-Ari.
- LEGO Challenge 2: Share a Quarantine Scene!